Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

9 reasons I hate going to the dentist.

 

1. The smell.

You know that smell. I can’t even describe it. It’s like if you put floss, latex gloves, cleaner, and toothpaste in a blender.

IMG_4514[1]

2. They talk to you.

I mean, having people talk to you normally isn’t a bad thing, but this is a different story. You’re just sitting there, more like laying there, actually and they try to have a conversation with you. “How are you?” “good.” “How has your summer been?” “good.”  Really you just want to get this over with and forget the awkward small talk. It’s worse when they talk to you while they’re poking inside your mouth.

3. Do you floss daily?

Anyone who says “yes” to this dreaded question is either lying or just very dedicated. I normally answer “uhhh sometimes.” Then they say something like “well you really need to floss daily or you will have no friends and your teeth will all rot out before you’re 40.” I think I am going to be toothless by 40.

IMG_4497[1]

4. It’s awkward.

You’re laying there with a light brighter than the sun shining in your face while a stranger who is wearing a mask and gloves pokes in your mouth. Can you say awkward?

5. X-rays.

Horrible little things. I’m not sure if this happens to everyone, or if I just have a freaky small mouth, but the little thing they put in my mouth always digs into the roof of my mouth and usually makes it bleed a little.

6. The sound of drills.

The sound of the drills is sort of like nails on a chalkboard, but in people’s teeth.

7. The water shooter.

I’m sure they have a name for ‘the water shooter,’ but I don’t know it…so I’m calling it the water shooter. Anyways, my teeth are really sensitive to cold in 2 places and they always seem to have the cold water aimed right at one of them.

8.  The poking.

With the little metal tools. I always think they’re going to scratch my teeth (which I’m sure they try not to…but I still always worry about it).

 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure the dentists are actually nice people, I just strongly dislike visiting them at their office.

In case you were wondering, I went to the dentist yesterday.

3 comments:

Kim Mace said...

Tee-Hee, very funny and all true! What about the sunglasses they make you wear? I understand and appreciate the glasses help keep "junk particles" off your face. But I find it hard to to concentrate on that because I just sit there wondering who had these things on before me???

Anonymous said...

The coldness doesnt bother me with the water shooter, it's when they shoot it on your teeth but then it rickshays off your teeth all over yourself, then the front of yout shirt is cover in a watery mix of blood and tooth paste and that's just awkward.

Craig Matlock said...

Bekah, my response to the flossing question is, "why yes I do floss regularly, every 6 months when I'm sitting in this silly chair!"

and I'm a little over 40 and still have all my teeth so don't worry about it. #scaretacticsthatdentistuse