Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

QUICK IT’S NOVEMBER: Be Thankful!!!!!

 

November, the month in which everyone suddenly becomes increasingly thankful.

Until that one day when we are supposed to be extra thankful, and then we just shove our faces and watch football, and if we’re super thankful, we go shopping.

But we’re not really anymore thankful in November than we are in say, October. We just put on a show, because, yeah, this is ‘Merica.

Im-thankful-giving-thanks-confined-just-one-day-year

Don’t get me wrong, I love Thanksgiving, I like big meals, and all that jazz, I just hate that we pretend it’s our thankful day. And that SO LONG as we are thankful on the last Thursday in November, we’re covered for the rest of the year. Or if we’re thankful, at least according to our facebook statuses (not statii, but don’t get me started), for the whole month of November, thank DANG YOU ARE LIKE JESUS OR SOMETHING. LOOK AT ALL THAT THANKFULNESS WE GOT GOING ON UP IN HEEERE.

And there’s nothing wrong with it, or our silly little traditions, but I’m just tired of the fakeness.

I just wish we could actually really, legitimately be thankful year-round.

I just wonder, would we all be posting our ‘30 days of thankful’ if we lived in trailers? Would you be that thankful if you were living in the local mission? Would you be that thankful if you didn’t get to eat copious amount of turkey  in a few days?

And I’m not above it, I was pouting just the other day because I have to work on Thanksgiving.

Sure, I’m getting paid overtime for it, but I HAVE TO WORK ON THANKSGIVING DON’T THEY KNOW THIS IS A HOLY DAY OF AMERICA?!?!

Instead of being such a whiner, why am I not thankful that I have a job? And the car to get there? And shouldn’t I be thankful for the fact that there is actually something for me to miss out on on Thanksgiving?

And I’m not going to lie, I don’t think that shopping on Thanksgiving is one of the seven deadly sins. Sure, I wish I wasn’t one of the people working that day, and sure, I think that if you’re going to have your family and stuff in, you should probably hang out with them.

But I don’t think that shopping on Thanksgiving or Black Friday makes you into a greedy unthankful pig.

Nope, you can do that any day of the year. And if that camera you’ve been eyeing for a year goes on sale big time on Black Friday, and you’ve got the cash for it, GO GET IT. It doesn’t matter.

I’m sick of everyone talking about how we act like we are thankful on Thanksgiving and then go shopping the next day and OMG NOW YOU ARE NOT THANKFUL, YOU PIG.

And I’m not saying this to defend myself, I’ve been black friday shopping once, and I hated it, never doing it again, but just because you shop that day doesn’t make you ungrateful. Just like not shopping on Thanksgiving/black friday doesn’t make you thankful (regardless of that one article everybody is sharing on facebook, oops)

You can be greedy and selfish no matter what you do on Thanksgiving.

I guess my point is, if you’re a thankful person, you’re thankful, and if you shop on Thanksgiving, you’ll still be thankful at the end of the day.

And if you’re unthankful and don’t shop on Thanksgiving, but instead make a list of 8,000 things you are thankful for, you’ll still be unthankful at the end of the day.

So this year, instead of being thankful for 30 days, tops, let’s be thankful year round, and try to remember:

True thankfulness is not so fragile, it does not topple so easily that buying something on Black Friday completely destroys it.

 

Also, why do we eat turkey on Thanksgiving instead of eel, since that was like Squanto’s real fave?

 

No comments: