Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Segregation, WHAT? is this real life?

 

If you want to suddenly get this burning desire to slap someone, read any of these links:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/georgia-teens-fed-segregated-proms/story?id=18880791#.UV8dxJM3uSo

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57578073/ga-students-fight-tradition-of-segregated-proms/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/04/05/georgia-students-fight-segregated-proms/

If you’re too lazy to click on the links (like I normally am) basically, there is a high school in Georgia that still has segregated proms. And it’s legal, because the proms are planned by parents and students and not the school board.

But this year a group of students is trying plan their own integrated prom, because they’re friends, and they rightfully think the idea of segregation is stupid.

What is this 1955?? Like really.

Stupid stupid stupid ignorance.

On either side, because from the way it sounds both white and black students/parents support the segregated proms. oh and homecomings too.

I’m sorry, but last time I checked someone’s awesome level had nothing to do with their skin color.

This is so stupid. I mean, usually I like to use a more broad vocabulary, at least when I write, but honestly the only word I can think of is: stupid.

So even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all men are created equal." –Martin Luther King, Jr.

Yeah, we’re still working on that, I’m sorry to say.

No comments: